[Bldg-sim] Use of simulation for ASHRAE 62.1 for compliance.

Nathan Miller nathanm at rushingco.com
Fri Mar 20 06:16:55 PDT 2015

Hema,

It’s been a while since I documented a natural ventilation project for LEED (I’m assuming you are doing this for LEED?), but in the past (LEED-NC v2.2 era), I’ve used annual natural ventilation simulation results (TAS and IES Virtual Environment are a couple of tools that work) to show that both peak and typical natural ventilation air flow rates are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the requirements if the building used a mechanical ventilation scheme. My impression of CFD is that it is more of a snap-shot in time rather than giving you results across a time-period, so maybe you could demonstrate flow on a peak day and maybe a “stagnant” day to help present your design. Otherwise I’d recommend presenting results from an annual (or natural-ventilation-season) simulation.

Maybe people who have submitted nat vent designs for review in the more recent past can provide more insight.

Sincerely,

Nathan Miller, PE, LEED AP BD+C – Mechanical Engineer/Senior Energy Analyst
RUSHING | D 206-788-4577 | O 206-285-7100
www.rushingco.com<http://www.rushingco.com/>