[Bldg-sim] Approx estimation of solar split from global?

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Sun May 31 17:43:37 PDT 2015

Hi Phil,

The gen_reindl program that comes with Daysim <http://daysim.ning.com/>
does this pretty well, although it isn't documented on the Daysim
website. Below is some info I sent to a student using global horizontal
irradiation from our weather station for daylight simulation purposes.

First you need to create a tab separated text file of the format *m d
h(decimal)    gh_irrad* like the below.

    4    22 8.333333333    107
    4    22    8.416666667    121
    4    22    8.5    137
    4    22    8.583333333    151
    4    22    8.666666667    159
    4    22    8.75    169
    4    22    8.833333333    178
    4    22    8.916666667    184

Then the gen_reindl program can be run. -l is longitude (west positive),
-a is latitude (north positive) and -m is the time zone in a multiple of
15 degrees from the meridian. The command below is for Singapore, and
you note that it is in the wrong time zone. UTC+8 * 15 = -120, despite a
-103.98 longitude.
 > gen_reindl -m -120 -l -103.98 -a 1.37 -i input.txt -o output.wea

After running the command, the output in the output.wea file looks like
this,

    4 22 8.333 12 103
    4 22 8.417 14 116
    4 22 8.500 17 131
    4 22 8.583 19 144
    4 22 8.667 19 151
    4 22 8.750 19 161
    4 22 8.833 20 169
    4 22 8.917 19 175

Where the 4th column is direct normal irradiation the the 5th column is
diffuse horizontal.

Best,
Alstan

--