Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Convex Zones and Cross Mixing

Edward:

Regarding your cross mixing problem, you've uncovered a bug in the
controls.  Delta Temp=0 is *supposed* to make the CROSS MIXING occur
at all times, but it does not.  This has been report as a bug.  A
workaround it to put in two symmetrical MIXING objects, one in each
zone.  This will get mixing to occur in all hours:

MIXING,
    Small Appartment y,      !- Zone Name
    Always On,               !- SCHEDULE Name
    1.1,                     !- Design Level
    Small Appartment x,      !- Source Zone Name
    0.0;                     !- Delta T

MIXING,
    Small Appartment x,      !- Zone Name
    Always On,               !- SCHEDULE Name
    1.1,                     !- Design Level
    Small Appartment y,      !- Source Zone Name
    0.0;                     !- Delta T

A side note.  On your shadowing surfaces, you have set the
TransSchedShadowSurf field to "Always On" (a schedule which equals
1.0 at all times) which in effect means you are getting no shading at
all.  This schedule should actually be "zero" at all times for opaque
shading surfaces, since it is a transmittance schedule.  0=no
trasmittance, 1=full transmittance.  I realize this is a bit
backwards from how one normally views schedules.

When you are ready to add an HVAC system, please contact me.  I can
help you find the simplest sample to start with for the system type
that you want to use.

Mike

On 11 Mar 2002, at 16:05, Edward Lyon wrote:

> I am attaching my file with cross mixing.  As sent, cross mixing
> is minimized.  There is no HVAC system for this model.  Is one
> needed to make cross mixing function?
>
> Since my last E-Mail I spent a couple of late nights and my
> weekend getting a model to run for my project. (tenacity is both a
> major asset and prime fault of mine).  I managed to glue my
> building description to a "not quite right but close enough"
> example file (I didn't include cross mixing).  I then stripped out
> all the unneeded schedules and zones.  Once running, I modified
> the equipment to match my space and finally started to generate
> some useful results.  My plan now is to get some rest, ask my
> client for a far bigger budget to cover at least part of my time
> as well as some real analysis work,  and compare this model to my
> failed attempts to try to figure out what went wrong.
>
> After I get back to the clients I shut off during this programming
> process, I should have a few more questions about the calculation
> results.  Unlike others who deal with energy use, I am more
> interested in studying specific equipment performance as it
> relates to interior conditions for problem buildings I
> investigate.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Staff Engineer
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
> Arlington, Massachusetts