Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] material thickness - why not specify as surface prop?

Thank you for your input, however, I must acknowledge that this is
not likely to be changed.

Surfaces reference constructions not materials.  Constructions are a
collection of materials.  It is true that the input could have been
structured to specify material thicknesses in the construction
definition, but it is not clear whether this would be any easier than
the current method.  For example, the interior material layer in most
buildings is a given thickness of drywall which is used throught the
structure.  The same thickness of drywall may appear as part of
several different constructions (exterior wall, interior wall,
floor/ceiling, roof), so using the generic material approach in this
case would require repeating the drywall thickness four times instead
of just stating it once.

Also, many of the materials in the pre-defined material dataset are
referred to by dimensions which are not exact (such as a "2x4" piece
of lumber which is not a full 2 inches by 4 inches).  It is easier to
refer to this simple material name rather than remember what the
actual thickness is every time it is used.