Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Modelling natural cross-ventilation using COMIS module

Colin:

The Infiltration-Mass output variable reports the total infiltration
entering a zone.  If there is no mixing to other zones, then an equal
amount of exfiltration is assumed to occur but is not reported
explicitly.

The best I can figure out at this point is that the Mixing-Mass
output is the total flow entering the zone from other zones.  Flow
leaving a zone is not reported explicitly.

In your run, I changed the reporting to be timestep instead of
hourly, and found that the flows are oscillating during much of the
day.  One timestep shows inflitration entering the exhaust zone, then
the next time step show zero infiltration in the exhaust zone, and so
on.  You may wish to recheck your inputs to see if there is a problem.

Mike

On 17 Jul 2002, at 10:46, colin harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have attached a model of a simple cube, with a window in the south facade
> and a chimney exhaust zone at the north facade, the zones are connected via
> a door and the exhaust has a window at the top of it's north facade. I have
> run the simulation for a southerly wind over a day and calculated the
> Infiltration-Mass and Mixing-Mass for each zone. However, when i add up the
> mass flows (for an hour period - example 18:00 and 20:00) going into a zone
> (positive) and going out of a zone (negative), they don't add to zero as i
> expected they would. Is this assumption incorrect or am i modelling
> something wrong?
>
> Also, I was wondering if the Comis module for EnergyPlus is now maintained
> by EnergyPlus since the Comis 3.1 version has gone commercial. Or is the
> commercial version going to be plugged into EnergyPlus in the future?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Colin.
>
> ps: I have also looked at using ESP-r for modelling this natural
> ventilation, but have found it quite unaccessible (even if they have a
> GUI). In comparison I think the documentation and organisation of Energy
> Plus is excellent.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

EnergyPlus Testing and Support