Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Model Underfloor Air Distribution?

I did my Master thesis on UFAD modeling of indoor stratification and some
testing result I did in a Chamber in St. Louis was published on ASHRAE
JOURNAL, although my name was not shown in the paper.
The model still has some holes in it, like the window plume simulation in a
perimeter zone. But, one basic thermal plume model is discussed in quite a
detail, which is the main driving force of moving air from lower zone to
upper zone. I also tried to model upper/lower zones separately, but the
model was not quite successful at differentiating core and perimter zones.
The typical pattern of vertical temp profile in a core zone is that you get
a large gradient at the bottom and at an almost uniform upper zone. The
smoke test of swirl diffusers shown the quick spreading of cool air all over
the floor. While the pattern of a perimeter zone is largely influenced by
the window walls, which creates a large gradient in the upper zone, while
lower zone is close to be uniform due to the stronger radiation onto the
floor.

Regarding the benefit of the system, testings observed that:
1. Overhead Lights almost makes no difference in the indoor temperature
profile. In other words, you probably can cut this out of your air load
calculation.
2. One perimter zone test shows that supply and return air temp difference
can reach 30F, with 65 in and 95 out. I didn't feel much discomfort.

On the load calculation, you really need to separate supply air load (the
amount of conditioned air to counteract the lower zone heat gain) from
chiller load, which takes care of the whole building heat gain. Of course,
depending on the arrangement of economizers.

Peter