Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] People Latent Heat Gain -- slightly more info

At 11:40 AM 8/7/02, Linda Lawrie wrote:

>The short answer (from looking at the code) is that the
>
>TotalPeopleGain = Number of Occupants * Activity Level (activity level is
>input as an hourly schedule value)
>
>Sensible People Gain is then a combination of internal coefficients applied
>to the activity level and the current mean air temperature in the zone
>
>Finally, the Latent is Total - Sensible.
>
>I will have to do a bit more work to get you the source and derivation of
>the internal coefficients.

A little more looking at the code tells me:

           !       THE FUNCTION IS BASED ON A CURVE FIT TO DATA PRESENTED IN
           !       TABLE 48 'HEAT GAIN FROM PEOPLE' OF CHAPTER 1 OF THE
'CARRIER
           !       HANDBOOK OF AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM DESIGN',
1965.  VALUES OF
           !       SENSIBLE GAIN WERE OBTAINED FROM THE TABLE AT AVERAGE
ADJUSTED
           !       METABOLIC RATES 350, 400, 450, 500, 750, 850, 1000, AND
           !       1450 BTU/HR EACH AT TEMPERATURES 82, 80, 78, 75, AND 70F.
           !       SENSIBLE GAINS OF 0.0 AT 96F AND EQUAL TO THE METABOLIC RATE
           !       AT 30F WERE ASSUMED IN ORDER TO GIVE REASONABLE VALUES
BEYOND
           !       THE REPORTED TEMPERATURE RANGE.

Linda

Will You Find True Love?