[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Model sizes, controls and PV

Mike,

I guess at the moment, I don't have any specific control strategy in
mind. The models I am doing now have very simple controls. Models I
have done with DOE in the past have had much more complex control
strategies. When I get a project requiring more complex controls,
I'm sure I'll have more questions then.

I have sent the PV model to your support e-mail address. Thanks for
all your help.

Michelle Smith
Belle Engineering, LLC

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@y..., "Michael J. Witte" <mjwitte@g...>
wrote:
> Michelle:
>
> LBNL recently conducted a survey regarding how EnergyPlus is being
> used.  Someone from LBNL may be able to share some of those
results
> with the group here.
>
> Regarding controls, I would agree that specifying certain control
> types was simpler in DOE-2.1E, but EnergyPlus should be able to do
> all of the same control strategies that DOE-2.1E has.  What
specific
> controls from DOE-2.1E are you unable to do in EnergyPlus?  What
> specific controls are you unable to do in either program?
>
> Please send your PV input file to energyplus-support@g... so that
> we can look into the directional errors which you found.
>
> Mike
>

> On 11 Sep 2002, at 22:21, Michelle Smith wrote:
>
> > I am just curious, what size buildings are being modeled with
> > EnergyPlus? Not only the phyical size, but how complex are the
> > buildings (structure, many wall and window types, etc.)?
> >
> > Also, are there any plans to make the control systems more
flexible.
> > Building controls in the real world are extremely flexible. You
can
> > control by more than just temperature and time schedules, you
can
> > use disciminator controls to control based on loading or control
> > based on occupancy sensor input. In my opinion, modeling real
world
> > controls using DOE is much more flexible.
> >
> > Finally, has any one else used EnergyPlus to model PV
performance? I
> > used EnergyPlus and the results just didn't look right to me, so
> > used another program to compare. EnergyPlus wasn't even in the
> > ballpark with regard to the energy produced. Additionally, I had
two
> > arrays of different sizes pointing different directions, and the
> > results reported by EnergyPlus were exactly the same for both.
Any
> > thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks for any input,
> >
> > Michelle Smith