Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Surface:Shading:Detached:Building

Shading objects are Surface:Shading:Detached,
Surface:Shading:Detached:Fixed, Surface:Shading:Detached:Building,
and Surface:Shading:Attached.

All of these shading surfaces produce the following effects:

a. They shade beam and diffuse solar from the sky, but they do NOT
reflect either beam or diffuse solar. Some day we'll add solar
reflection from other buildings, especially when they have lots of
glass, to E+. (see Engineering Reference, p. 38)

b. They shade long-wave radiation from the sky.  (see Engineering Reference, p. 39)

c. They emit long-wave radiation assuming, like the ground, that they
have emissivity = 0.9 and temperature = air temperature. Since the
sky temperature is generally less than the air temperature, there
will be more long-wave from the shading surfaces (which could
represent other buildings) than there would be from the portion of
the sky they are shadowing. In this sense the other buildings are
heat sources. However, assuming they are at the same temperature as
the air can be a poor assumption if they are sunlit. The same applies
to the ground. If the ground is hot asphalt it can get up to 130F or
higher and radiate like mad.

d. They do not reflect long-wave radiation from the ground, sky, target
building, or anything else.

There is also another input which is related to the presence of
surrounding buildings.  In the BUILDING object, the Terrain field can
be set to FlatOpenCountry, RoughWoodedCountryTownsSuburbs, or
CityCenter.  This field alters the windspeed value which is used to
calculate exterior convection coefficients.  See pp. 7-8 in the Input
Output Reference.

Mike Witte (with much help from Fred Winkelmann)

On 18 Sep 2002, at 11:44, rmp4aup6 wrote:

> A simple question about shading surface.
>
> In Energyplus, we talked about the shading effects from attached and
> detached surfaces, including the surrounding buildings around the
> building we want to simulate.
>
> In that case, does E+ assume that the surrounding builings are not
> heat sources? (the surrounding buildings will not influence the
> temperature of the builidng we want to simulate)
>
> or E+ can simulate the heat balance which comes from the surrounding
> buildings?
>
> chunming

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/dkFolB/TM