Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] IFC to IDF

It is always nice to see determined end-users work around software
limitations.

The gap between surfaces should not be a problem for the current thermal
or daylighting simulation methods used by EnergyPlus.  A problem could
occur for a daylighting simulation method based on raytracing or
radiosity algorithms.

Rob Hitchcock
================
Monjur M Mourshed wrote:

> Cristina Castaño/LABEIN and others wrote:
>

> 1.- The walls are not conneted and there is a gap between them.
>

> From the developer of the IFC to IDF app:
>
> On point number 1:
>
> The walls are not connected for the reason that this user surmises.
> BSPro uses the centerline of the wall to position each surface of zero
> thickness. This is not a problem for the thermal calculations. It is
> potentially a problem for daylighting, but I do not have current plans
> to change the approach used by BSPro.
>
> A trick to eliminate this problem:
>
> I was facing the same problem and found a way. When you draw in
> ArchiCAD/ ADT, you can use wall thickness of 0?/ 0mm. You will get the
> output you are looking for.
>
> For your information, I have attached the .IFC and .IDF files with the
> email.
>
> Regards
>
> ***************************************
>
> Monjur M Mourshed
>
> IRUSE
>
> Informatics Research Unit for Sustainable Engineering
>
> NationalUniversity of IrelandCork. Ireland.
>
> Web: http://www.ecaad.com/monjur
>
> http://www.ucc.ie/iruse/monjur
>
> Email : m.mourshed@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> monjur@xxxxxxxxx