Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] inputting surfaces' geometry & dimensions

The choice of interior, exterior, or center-line (axis) for surface
dimensions is up to the user.  For most wall constructions, the
slight change in zone volume or wall surface areas will have very
little impact on the results.  Use whatever dimension is most
conveniently available from the building plans.  For very thick
walls, center-line (axis) dimensions should probably be used to avoid
overestimating the heat transfer through exterior walls.  Differences
in the thickness of construction elements is only used to determine
the heat transfer characteristics of the surface.  For shadowing and
other geometric calculations, all surfaces are planes with no
thickness.

Mike

On 6 Aug 2003, at 8:10, itamargoldberger wrote:

> Dear Sirs:
>

> When inputting surfaces' geometry, should we refer to dimensions from
> axis to axis or should we refer to the dimensions of the inner surface
> of the construction element?  We have noticed that zone volume is
> calculated as if the inputted dimensions are those of the inner
> surfaces but then, how are differences in thickness of  the envelope's
> construction elements handled?
>

> Please advise us.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dr. Monica Paciuk
> Itamar Goldberger

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx