Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Blinds' Effect on Temperature

Look at Report Variables "Window Blind Slat Angle" and "Fraction of Time
Shading Device Is On" to determine whether the blinds are deployed during the
morning hours.  Depending on the control setpoint there may be enough incident
diffuse solar to deploy the blinds in the morning.

Blinds will affect both the solar and thermal performance of the window.
Blinds reflect solar back outside, but they also convert transmitted solar into
an immediate convective gain instead of allowing solar to be absorbed by
building surfaces.  With all of these interactions to consider, it is certainly
possible that blinds might cause the space to be warmer in the morning.

Mike

On 1 Dec 2003, at 14:35, Hannah Yan wrote:

> Can somebody explain my question about window
> BLINDS...
>
> I simulated interior blinds in a naturally ventilated
> space. The blinds were modeled followed by the E+
> package example "PurchAirWindowBlind.idf": blinds
> controlled by incident solar on blinds.
>
> If the windows of the space facing South, indoor
> temperature (Tin) with blinds is noticeable higher
> than if without blinds in the morning until 14:pm;
> then in the afternoon, the space without interior
> blinds is warmer.
>
> Similarly, if the window is facing west, with blinds
> is warmer 1-3 F than without between 12:pm-16:pm.
>
> I'm just wondering whether such result is valid and
> how to check?
>
> Hannah

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511