Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] COMSI AIR FLOW:OPENING=>Discharge coefficient ?

Ming,

The theoretical maximum Discharge Coefficient for an open door would be 1.0,
but in reality it never gets that high because the flow is contracted due to
the existence of the opening.  According to COMIS Fundam entals (LBL-28560,
May 1990), "[flow contraction] depends on the fluid and the local flow
characteristics caused by the shape of the opening. Its value goes from 0.61
for sharp-edged orifices to 0.98 for trumpet shaped nozzles. A brief review
[51-53] indicates that these values can be as low as 0.36 and higher than
0.75 for large openings (p. 45). "

Please note that COMIS will determine the Cd from the other input parameters
(from COMIS 3.0 User's Guide, p. 61-62):

 Internal doors:  Cd = f(Height of the door/Height of the room);
                          with this function Cd will be in the range from
0.05 to 0.5.
 External openings;  Cd= f(wind velocity, temp. difference, depth of the
room);
                          with this function Cd will be in the range from
0.6 to 1.5.
If Cd has to be calcujlated by the program, the following restructions apply
for the input:
 . LVO mustr be type 1
 . Cd=0; for all opening factors

Joe