Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] control dampers

David and I had some further offline discussions of this, and the system is
similar to what you describe.  From an energy modeling perspective, I suggested
that he model this as a VAV system with a constant power fan (i.e., set the fan
power coefficients to 1,0,0,0).  As long as the flow rate to the zone never
falls below the minimum OA flow rate, this should model equivalent energy
consumption.

Mike

On 4 Mar 2004, at 10:54, Edward Lyon wrote:

> I think David is trying to model an older HVAC system that has constant
> volume supply fans moving air to variable volume zone boxes.  These
> systems include a loop connection between the supply air and the return
> air with a damper that operates to maintain a duct pressure set point
> (Carrier is one manufacturer).
>
> My experience with these systems is that they perform poorly.  I would
> not design a new system like this, but I might try to model an existing
> system to evaluate the performance difference of a redesign.  I do not
> believe that E+ has sufficient control interfaces to build and model
> this type of system.  I think that a new equipment module would be
> required to contain the calculation dynamics of this type of bypass
> system.
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Project Manager
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>
> 41 Seyon Street
> Building #1, Suite 500
> Waltham, MA  02453
>
> Phone:  781-907-9000
> Fax:  781-907-9009

> I am not sure I understand exactly what your bypass will do.  The dual
> duct and
> VAV dampers are controlled by the zone thermostat to meet the zone
> setpoint.
> The central heating coil in such a system is controlled by a setpoint
> manager
> to meet a specified leaving air temperature off the coil.  See the
> DDAutoSize.idf and 5ZoneAuto.idf example files.
>
> Mike
>

> On 1 Mar 2004, at 20:13, David Cormier wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > I have a second interrogation about the control of damper ... I model
> > central heating coil with a constant fan ... I want to have a damper
> in the zone
> > and a big bypass that will take the flow that the damper will not
> take ....
> >
> > May I use SINGLE DUCT:CONST VOLUME or SINGLE DUCT:VAV ?
> >
> > How the program proceed to choose if he open the damper or increase
> the coil
> > production ?? How we can control that choice ??
> >
> > (I look at the example files of vav ... I don't see damper
> control...)
> >
> > thank you!
> >
> > david cormier

> > MSN Messenger : discutez en direct avec vos amis !
> > http://messenger.fr.msn.ca/

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is:
> >
> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder
> > in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
> >

> >  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are
> of the
> >  Support Web Site.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

> Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
> EnergyPlus Testing and Support
> EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

> http://www.energyplus.gov

> [...]

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.