Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Number of surface.

At 11:44 AM 5/20/2004, indoman1611 wrote:

>** Warning ** Roof/Ceiling Tilt=90.0, much greater than expected
>          tilt of 0, for Surface=ZN002:ROOF003, in Zone=ATTIC ZONE
>** Warning ** Roof/Ceiling Tilt=90.0, much greater than expected
>tilt of 0, for Surface=ZN002:ROOF004, in Zone=ATTIC ZONE
>** Warning ** The total number of floors, walls, roofs and internal
>mass surfaces in Zone ATTIC ZONE is < 6.
>**   ~~~   **  This may cause an inaccurate zone heat balance
>calculation.
>Roof 3 and roof 4 are triangular sections of typical residential
>house with an attic zone. The total number of the wall, floor, etc
>are less then 6 how ever, but the zone is enclosed.Two slanted
>surface, two triangular sections and a floor/patition. I uploaded
>files under Residential IDF.zip in Problem_Submittals folder.
>
>How do I take care of these warning? Are these warning going to
>produce false results?

Usually, people describe the gable ends of the roof/attic as a wall (which
is usually a tilt of 90).  If you did that, you would get rid of these
warnings.

I forget why we introduced the <6 warning.  But you have an enclosed zone
surface so you are probably okay.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference when you describe
the gables as walls rather than roofs.  But I think you are basically okay.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
Member: EnergyPlus Development Team