Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Glass Block

Glass block is potentially a complex system to model.  The blocks are
actually small windows in a grid of opaque concrete.  There are a lot of
complex solar reflection, absorption and shading issues going on.

Since an area of glass block is effectively a window, you may get a
fair estimate of performance by modeling the glass block system with
THERM 5 and WINDOW 5 first and importing the assembly into E+.  The
glass thickness (glass face not full block) is probably not that
critical.  I would use 1/4 or 3/8 inch.  The glass solar transmittance
and absorption are more critical.  Mortar is not a standard THERM
material, but you can enter your own material properties into the
library.  WINDOW 5 will allow you to construct a window system by
assembling a group of single glass blocks and it will calculate some
total properties for the assembly.  I say fair estimate from WINDOW 5
because the program is designed for typical insulated glazing units with
standard frames and not this thicker glass block/mortar grid.

If you are not comfortable with WINDOW 5, another approximate model
would be to use two glass layers with an interstitial shade.  I'm not
sure if you can have both horizontal and vertical shade devices between
glass layers in E+, but that is probably a more critical aspect of
trying to model the solar gain of a glass block wall.

Ned Lyon

Senior Project Manager
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street
Building #1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA  02453

Phone:  781-907-9000
Fax:  781-907-9009

>>> MLSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 5/20/2004 11:32:27 PM >>>
Has anyone had experience modelling glass blocks? I would think you
would have two layers of glass with air in the middle, but I am
having trouble finding out the thickness of the glass. Can I
possibly use a single layer with the characteristics given by the
manufacturer for the "assembly?"

Michelle

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to: