Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: wall and roof color

EnergyPlus opaque materials require three inputs related to radiant exchange:

Absorptance:Thermal
Absorptance:Solar
Absorptance:Visible

Thermal applies to the infrared wavelengths for radiant heat transfer.  Visible
is applied to daylighting and the visible light fraction from LIGHTS.  Solar
refers to the full solar spectrum including the visible and thermal
wavelengths.  The solar absorptance is applied to incident solar radiation.

Values for these properties are available from various handbooks.  Some sources
with data for various colored roof materials are cited below.  Some handbooks
will state  emittance or reflectance data rather than absorptance.  To convert
to absorptance, use the following rules.  Emittance=Absorptance for a given
wavelength region (solar, visible, or thermal).
Absorptance+Reflectance+Transmittance=1.0.  For opaque materials, transmittance
is zero, so Absorptance = 1.0 - Reflectance.

Data sources for roof material absorptance properties:

LBL site with roofing data - http://eetd.lbl.gov/CoolRoofs/

The Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) has published several reports regarding
roof properties and their effect on cooling loads.  A list of publications may
be found at:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/resources/publications/index.htm
Two especially pertinent reports are:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/cr670/index.htm - Lots of measured property
data
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/cr1336/cr1336.htm - Table 1 lists solar
reflectances for six new and weathered materials

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx