[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Forcing system behavior

As a user of E+, and especially in the early stage of design, you
want to autosize most things (everything, in fact, just see what
happens).

The radiant panel definition requires a user-specified flow rate (you
aren't allowed to autosize). Because of this I now seem to have to
user-specify every parameter for the system and plant, otherwise I
get errors.

I'm spending time making up input values for components I don't want
to design yet. In fact, this is why we're using E+ in the first
place, to see how the radiant system impacts on the air handling
system, the building envelop, and the thermal comfort of the
occupants.

Part of the problem is that you don't get much in the way of useful
feedback, just wonky zone temperatures, or error messages that only
someone debugging the program code can make immediate sense of.  If a
coil is undersized (or oversized), it would be useful to get a
caution message, or something.

Seems to me these are pretty major issues.

Thanks once again
Shaun Martin

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
<mjwitte@g...> wrote:
> Perhaps a better to say it would be that mixing autosized and user-
specified
> values can be done, but with great care to ensure consistency.  If
you have not
> already, be sure to read the section on "Mixing User-Specified and
Autosized
> Inputs" in the Input Output Reference starting on p. 328 (pdf p.
358).
> Autosizing is certainly encouraged, even preferred in many cases.
>
> Even though the eio file reports sizes, it is sometimes difficult
to know what
> they are based on when using mixed inputs.  For example, the
cooling coil
> sizing uses the mixed air temperature resulting from the outside
air flow rate
> collected from the Zone Sizing object(s).  But the outside air
controller
> specified a higher minimum outside air flow, so the coil would be
undersized.
> But as I look again at your input file, the cooling coil wasn't
being autosized
> anyway.  Water and air flow rates were user-specified.
>
> Mike
>

> On 10 Dec 2004, at 0:16, sm278424 wrote:
>

> > Mike,
> >
> > Thanks for looking at that.
> >
> > So, this is news. A "mixture of autosized and user-specified
> > values...generally does not work well".
> >
> > Is this even when the EIO file reports correct/acceptable values
for
> > all the autosized parameters?
> >
> > Just as a comment, the I/O Reference certainly does not lead one
> > believe this is the case, the way it is written it seems to
encourage
> > the use of autosizing.
> >
> > Shaun
> >

> > --- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
> > <mjwitte@g...> wrote:
> > > It is difficult to evaluate what is happening here, because the
> > file is a
> > > mixture of autosized and user-specified values.  This generally
> > does not work
> > > well in EnergyPlus.
> > >
> > > The supply air temperature not meeting setpoint appears to be a
> > problem with
> > > the cooling coil inputs.  Within COIL:WATER:COOLING, the coil
> > should be allowed
> > > to completely autosize or be completely specified.  Also, there
is
> > more outside
> > > air flow specified in the outside air controller than in the
ZONE
> > SIZING
> > > object.  Finally, try using COIL:Water:DetailedFlatCooling to
see
> > if that will
> > > adequately control the supply air temperature.
> > >
> > > Mike

> > of
> > is

IDF