Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Performance curve for the chiller

And a colleague reminded me to add some cautions:

1.  There must be an adequate range of data points to achieve a valid fit.
Extrapolation of a bi-quadratic is usually invalid, so the range of
temperatures for both variables must be adequately represented in the data.
And there must be sufficient points within the range to define the appropriate
shape.

2.  At nominal conditions, the curve value must be exact.  For example, a
chiller eir-ft curve should be 1.0 at the user-specified design water
temperatures.  It is often the case that the resulting curve coefficients may
produce a result which is not exactly 1.0 at the design conditions.  If it is a
very small error, it may be sufficient to simply adjust the constant
coefficient and shift the entire curve.  If it is more significant, it may be
necesssary to pull the curve toward the design point by adding duplicating the
data points at and near the design point to give them more weight.

3.  Regardless of the method used to obtain the coefficients, it is important
to evalute and plot the curve values over a range of input conditions to make
sure the curve fit makes sense.  Curves which cross each other or curve down
and then up are probably invalid.

Mike