RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Radiant heat exchange

Mike,

After some additional analysis and trial runs, we determined that
radiation works in the design day model we put together, but the results
may be better for over all energy use than for actual surface
temperature analysis.  We found that it doesn't make much difference
where we put the radiant heat panel in our space or which way it faces.
Just having it somewhere in the model raises the surface temperatures
very uniformly for all surfaces in our relatively small (6m x 9m x 6m)
space.  In one trial we used a very small interior wall facing toward
the west wall (the building is essentially a box with a notch in the
middle of one side)

+-------------------------+
|                           |
+-^^-+                   |
       |                    |
+----+                    |
|                           |
+-------------------------+

and had an equal temperature rise on the east exterior wall behind the
hot surface.  Of course there is no stratification so the real
effectiveness of warm surface position can not be evaluated.

I'm not faulting EnergyPlus or suggesting there is some error in the
current calculations.  I know that a CFD simulation would probably give
me a better approximation of results that I am looking for (especially
stratification).  My point is "user beware", surface temperatures and
condensation flags may not be as reliable in EnergyPlus as one would
like.

Ned Lyon, Senior Project Manager

Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
41 Seyon Street, Bldg 1 Suite 500