Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Windows construction

Jun Moon,

This is a frequently occurring problem. We here at LBNL have had to address
this in a project for the California Energy Commission in which most of the
windows are defined only by U-factor and SHGC (actually Shading
Coefficient).  We have been using Window-5 (within EnergyPlus)  iteratively
to produce double-pane layers that match the specified U and SHGC.  At
present, this is done manually, but eventually we intend to automate the
process within EnergyPlus, which includes the Window-5 algorithms.

The main problem with this method is that, for the given information, there
is no unique solution, so we make some generalizing assumptions about the
optical properties of the glazing. The method that we hope to automate will
allow a gradation of window descriptions, with the U-factor and SHGC as the
bare minimum. The more inputs that are available - type and U-factor of
frame, frame, type of glazing and coating, ratio of reflection to absorption
of glazing, etc. - the more constrained is the solution and the more closer
the match to the actual window properties. A major part of this future work
is to identify which window descriptors or properties are most useful for
producing an accurate layer.

I'm cc'ing this e-mail to Jeff Warner, who did the manual translation of the
California Energy Commission window types, and to Dariush Arasteh and
Christian Kohler of  LBNL's Windows Group, in case they want to add any more
thoughts to this topic.

Joe Huang