Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Calculation of intermittent heating/cooling

There are multiple ways to turn off heating for a period of time:

1.  Schedule the thermostat heating setpoint to something cold, such as 0C.
However, this is only works with thermostat control types 1 = Single Heating
Setpoint, and 4 = Dual Setpoint with Deadband.  With control type 3 = Single
Heating Cooling Setpoint, this is also the cooling setpoint, so the thermostat
will request cooling to 0C!

2.  If no heating or cooling is desired (all HVAC systems are off), you can
schedule the thermostat control type to be 0.

3.  The equipment can be scheduled off.  In the case of PURCHASED AIR, use the
"heating availability schedule" and "cooling availability schedule" to shut off
heating or cooling at the desired times.

Any one of the above options can be used.

Regarding the last question, if the space temperature is above the heating
setpoint in the winter, then the combination of solar gains and internal gains
(lights, people, equipment, etc.) are more than enough to balance losses
through the building envelope.  Check the magnitude of these gains, check the
building surface descriptions (are exterior surfaces set to
OutsideFaceEnvironment = ExteriorEnvironment, has INFILTRATION been included,
are the surface thermal properties correct).

Mike

On 30 Oct 2005, at 7:47, wnstot wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
> I want to calculate a intermittent heating during the winter.
> According to the example of Purchair model, set the heating setpoint to
> 0C when air conditionor is off, and 22C when it is on using the SINGLE
> HEATING/COOLING SETPOINT thermostat controls. Therefore, the thermostat
> will be satisfied when the room air is above 0, and heating will be
> turned off. This really works, but it brings out another question,
> during the daytime the room temperature will be increased to over 22C,
> and the thermostat seems does not works. At many times during the
> winter, heating is only needed at the first hour when the heating
> setpoint is change from 0c to 22c, and there is no need for heating at
> the other time (the room air is very high, about 23-30c).
> Could you give me a hand about this problem?
> Or give me an example of intermittent heating/cooling ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lei

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support