From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rick Strand
Sent: 14 December 2005 20:04
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mike Witte
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Comparable Comfort

Rory:

Your question is an interesting one.  I have done similar work in the past
using IBLAST (a predecessor of EnergyPlus) in that I was trying to achieve
equal comfort for both a radiant and a forced air system.  Due to the
distinct differences between these two system types, there are different
thermostatic settings that are required to maintain the same level of
comfort.  I ended up doing the "brute force" method that you
discussed--varying thermostatic settings in different input files to
achieve similar levels of comfort between the two system types.  This is
certainly a possibility for your study, but as you point out, this is
fairly time consuming.  I was not able to find any other alternatives at
the time and thus don't have any better suggestions to offer.

To answer your other questions, it is fairly likely that you should see
"effective temperature" controls in EnergyPlus within the next year.  The
effective temperature is simply defined as some user specified combination
of mean air temperature and mean radiant temperature such as ET = (x)(MAT)
+ (1-x)(MRT) where x is defined by the user.  Such controls would allow you
to come close to achieving equal comfort for various cases by factoring in
both radiant and convective contributions to thermal comfort.  The radiant
systems in EnergyPlus already allow some alternate controlling schemes
(x=0, X=0.5, and x=1.0 in the above equation).

Regarding whether it is possible to control the building to PMV=0, this is
not something that is planned for EnergyPlus and there are not any
buildings I am familiar with that even try to implement such a control
scheme.  In theory, all buildings should achieve acceptable PMV levels but
thermostatic settings are usually based on achieving a particular air
temperature.

This information probably does not help your situation, but I hope that it
at least sheds some light on what is possible and what has been done in the
past.

Rick Strand
EnergyPlus Development Team Member

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM