Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Interzone surface and Windows compositions.

1.  Not really.  You can define two zones without a dividing surface, but there
will be no exchange between the zones where they meet.  If you add an interzone
window, you can pass solar gains from one zone to the next.  And if you add
MIXING or CROSS MIXING, you can create an air exchange between the zones.  But
there is no radiant exchange from one zone to the next.  For your state pupose
of reporting thermal comfort for two locations, it would be better to model the
two areas in the same zone and use 2 different PEOPLE objects. By using Angle
Factor List(s), you can change the mix of surfaces which each PEOPLE object is
affeted by.  Note that solar gains incident on the PEOPLE are not included in
the thermal comfort models.  Only the inside surface temperature of the window
impacts the reported thermal comfort values.

2.  In EnergyPlus, all windows must be modeled as a subsurface
(Surface:HeatTransfer:Sub) place on a base surface (Surface:HeatTransfer). If
you make the base surface material match the properties of the frame, then you
can place windows on the base surface cover almost of the surface (but there
must always be a small amount of base surface area remaining).  For the facade
with dividers, you can either place multiple windows on the base surface, or
place one large window and use WindowFrameAndDivider to add the dividers.  Note
that the frame area of WindowFrameAndDivider is added outside the
Surface:HeatTransfer:Sub area.

Mike

On 14 Nov 2006 at 18:54, Thiago Karashima wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I´m starting the characterization of a 10 sotories building and
> at this point i have two questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to create two contiguous zones in such a way that
> there is no surface dividing these two zones? I want to do this to
> visualize the difference between thermal comfort of those people who
> works next to the windows and those who works in the core of the
> building, away from sunlit windows.
>
> 2) Do someone have any idea how can i model the two facades of my
> building? One facede area is almost 100% glass, the other is
> composed of a frame and divider that is part glass and part metal
> sheet. I´ve uploaded some pictures in the group website; they are in
> the link "Photos", in a Photo Album called "ThiagoKarashima".
>
> I would appreciate any kind of sugestion.
>
> Thank you for your patiance!
>
> Thiago Karashima
> LaAr - www.laar.unb.br
> University of Brasília - Brazil

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support