Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] how do I verify zone heating loads?

I will offer some quick answers to help you understand this better.  But
ultimately, you have to simplify your simulation greatly in order to create a
case that can be verified by simple hand caclulations such as UADeltaT.  I
suggest that you start with a very simple box - no windows, no infilration, no
internal gains and satify yourself that the caculations are reliable, then add
features one by one.

1.  No valid range found for Loop Demand=726610.25 means that the last upper
load range limit was not large enough.  This load may have occurred during
warmup and may not relate to any real loads in the building once the simulation
has intialized.  Always put a very large number as the final upper limit so
that equipment will always operate no matter how large the load gets.

2.  Report variables (nearly all) are defined in the Input Output Reference.
Search for the report variable name.

3.  If you do not have any window frame and divider objects, then center of
glass u-value applies over the entire area of the window subsurface.

4.  UADeltaT applies if the following conditions are met:  constant indoor
temperature, constant outdoor temperature, no sun, exterior radiant (night-sky
and ground) turned off by setting exterior thermal absorptance to near zero.

5.  U values in the eio output file are at nominal conditions.  Interio and
exterior convection coefficients change continually by default (and can be
reported) unless you specify constants for these using the CONVECTION
COEFFICIENTS object.

6.  You infiltration caclulation is probably off because EnergyPlus by default
varies windspeed and outdoor temperatures with height off the ground.  The
windspeed on a groundfloor zone is generally about 50% of the measured wind
speed on the weather file.  Report the local values or turn off the height-
dependency.

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support