RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Wind pressure coefficients

The DesignBuilder user interface is different in one important respect to
the direct EnergyPlus interface in that it requires wind pressure
coefficient data in directions relative to each surface (rather than for
each wind direction as required by EnergyPlus).

DesignBuilder subtracts the orientation of the surface from the each of the
0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, 315° directions before sending the WPC data
to EnergyPlus. The advantage of doing it this way is that it allows
DesignBuilder to use the standard AIVC pressure coefficient data as
defaults.  But it probably does not help when coming to calculate
coefficients using CFD for buildings having many different facade
orientations because it multiplies the number of CFD simulations required.

>What?s the meaning of the 45° increments for each
>value of Cp?

The 45° increments in DesignBuilder represent that different directions the
wind can take relative to the surface.

1. Yes

2. Yes

You may be interested to know that we will be finishing off the
DesignBuilder CFD calculations over the summer and these will in time
include an automated facility for calculating wind pressure coefficients
from CFD simulations.

David, please contact us directly for further guidance if your questions
apply specifically to DesignBuilder.

Andy Tindale
DesignBuilder Software