Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Heater element exponent

The baseboard heater in EnergyPlus, BASEBOARD HEATER:WATER:CONVECTIVE, is 100%
convective.  The equation in the Input Output reference which defines the heat
output as a function of UA is incorrect.  And, unfortunately, there is no
section in the Engineering Reference for this model.  The revised description
for the UA field follows:

Field: UA
The overall heat transfer coefficient for the baseboard heater in watts per
degree Celsius at design conditions. The UA is used in an NTU - effectiveness
calculation. An estimate of the UA can be obtained from:

q = UA x (Twater,avg - Tair,avg)

where q is the heat transferred from water to the air in watts; Twater,avg is
the average water temperature in degrees C; and Tair,avg is the average air
temperature in degrees C. Or the LMTD temperature difference can be used.

So, for convective heat transfer, the non-linear output of the heater as a
function of water and air temperature should be accounted for by the model.
But there is no radiant component, so that effect is lost.  For the Fall 2007
release, there will be a new radiator model which is a combined convection-
radiation model.

In the current version, a true radiator can be approximated by using LOW TEMP
RADIANT SYSTEM:HYDRONIC on a small surface.

Mike

On 5 Apr 2007 at 9:29, Sebastian Dietz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> currently I'm modelling a simple heating system, including boiler, pump
> and radiator (baseboard). Whatever, I didn't find an option to enter the
> heater element exponent (emission index) in the Baseboard
> Heater:Water:Convective objekt. Does anybody know, how to represent non
> linear properties of a radiator in EPlus?
>
> thanks in advance
> sebastian
>
> --
> Sebastian Dietz
> Fraunhofer-Institut for Solare Energiesysteme ISE
> Heidenhofstrasse 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany
> Phone: +49 (0) 7 61/ 45 88-51 36
> Sebastian.Dietz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx