From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Michael J. Witte
Sent: 24 April 2007 18:05
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: HVAC Descriptions

When you use COMPACT HVAC:ZONE:UNITARY and COMPACT HVAC:SYSTEM:UNITARY to
create a single HVAC system serving multiple zones, you are getting a system
where one zone is controlled and the other zones act as sub-zones with no
direct control.  The terminal unit objects used in this case are DIRECT AIR.
This is not a "multizone" system in the traditional North-American sense of
the
word.  In more detail, this system will serve multiple thermal zones with
each
zone receiving some fixed flow rate when the system is on.  The system fan
and/or coils will cycle to meet the loads of the control zone, and the other
zone will get their fixed portion of the total system flow.

Because Andy said that the DB "unitary multizone" system requires setting
one
zone to be the control zone, I assume that it is using the same approach as
above and is not a "multizone" as you define it.  So that system is also the
type that you are seeking to model.

To model a "multizone" system as you know the term in EnergyPlus, you would
use
the "Dual Duct:Const Volume" terminal unit which is not (yet) a COMPACT HVAC
option.

Mike