Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Effects of Zone and System Sizing?

Your approach of replacing "autosize" with hard values either in the Compact
HVAC objects or in the expidf file objects is the correct way to force the
system size to stay the same across alternatives.  Theoretically, both
approaches should have produced similar results.  I would need to see the input
files in order to explain why they differed.

Regarding the result where changing thermostat setpoint does not alter energy
consumption . . . This would lead me to think that the zone temperatures are
not well-controleed for either setpoint, that the system is maxed out on
capacity in both cases.  But that is just a guess.

Mike

On 10 Dec 2007 at 16:29, eric.mcmaster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been working with EnergyPlus Simulation files attempting to
> assess the impact of various Energy Efficiency Retrofits on the
> energy consumption of a specific building.  I am developing
> EnergyPlus files using Compact HVAC Description and my question
> relates to the factors within the building that are being auto sized
> within EnergyPlus due to this fact. As I wish to assess the effects
> of changing building components on a building with static mechanical
> systems I was wondering if you could explain how to ensure that the
> mechanical systems are remaining constant and now being re-sized
> within EnergyPlus after each incremental change.
>
> I have so far attempted two separate methods for achieving a static
> building system model.  First I ran a base level EnergyPlus file;
> when the simulation was completed I extracted the information
> available within the ".eio" output file which listed the values
> determined for in the auto sizing of components.  I then replaced
> the "auto size" parameters with the corresponding input parameters in
> first the Compact HVAC Objects and then in the expanded .idf objects.
> Both methods produce different results for pump and fan loads when
> simulating for Energy efficiency retrofits (EERs). Specifically, when
> the expanded .idf file was defined using all of the original
> component sizing information EERs such as a change in cooling set
> point temperature now have no effect on consumption.
>
> What would be the best way to most accurately define a building
> within EnergyPlus which possesses static building system information?
>
> Thank you
> Eric

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx