[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: free cooling questions

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "olifpp" <olifpp@...>
wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
>       I am doing a simulation of a building which can utilize
> cooling water directly from condenser loop (cooling tower and so
> on).  In this building, there are some larger interior zones which
> also have cooling load on some days in winter, and I think the
> cooling water from the condenser loop is lower in winter and can be
> utilized to substitute the chilled water.
>       The first question is that: how can I get the actual cooling
> load of the interior zones in winter. I have built a purchased air
> model for the building. In the ¡° zone control Thermostatic¡± , I
> used the ¡°single heating setpoint ¡°and¡± the single cooling
> setpoint¡± ,and the ¡°zone control type¡± is ¡°winter 1¡± and
> ¡°summer 2¡±. Then I got the result that the cooling load of all
the
> interior zones in winter is 0, but actually, it should not be zero.
> How can I get the actual cooling load in winter?
>       The second question is : ¡° the free cooler which is set up
> parallelly with the chiller can being open ¡°on¡± in winter. How to
> set the schedule?
>    Thanks very much for your suggestion!

I'm not an EnergyPlus user yet but to answer your first question, the
space cooling load of and interior zone in winter would be the same
as the space cooling load in summer since an interior zone has no
perimeter exposure, there's no difference between summer and winter
and the load is comprised of only interior heat gains from people,
equipment, and lights. The ventilation load is typically not a space
load but instead is a coil load assuming the outdoor air is
introduced at the air handling unit mixing box section where it's
blended with return air from the space.