[Equest-users] eQUEST shell connection

Bishop, Bill bbishop at PathfinderEngineers.com
Thu Aug 7 11:17:40 PDT 2008

Dan,

Did you get any other responses to the side-by-side shells question?
Specifically, I experimented with a model I have with shells
side-by-side.  In one model, the exterior walls (that are there when you
first put the two shells next to each other) were replaced with interior
walls with Surface Type "Adiabatic".  Then I modified the model by
removing the interior walls altogether and found that it made
(practically) no difference - I got a 1 kWh change in annual energy use.
It looks like removing the wall removed a tiny bit of cooling load from
avoided solar gains.  In other words, it may be okay just to delete the
exterior walls without replacing them with an interior wall or walls.
This approach would not be appropriate, of course, if the adjacent
spaces are expected to be at considerably different temperatures.

Bill

William Bishop, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers LLP

Mechanical Engineer

3300 Monroe Ave., Suite 306
Rochester, NY  14618

TEL (585) 218-0730 Ext. 114