[Equest-users] Steam Distribution Heat loss

Landon.Streed at tac.com Landon.Streed at tac.com
Tue Dec 9 07:28:55 PST 2008

I have a 36 story office building that I am trying to model the current energy usage in and have run into a question about losses in a steam distribution system. Not having much experience modeling large office buildings using a steam distribution system, I was wondering what to use for my supply losses for the system. I know that it is hard to make a generalization on a typical supply loss Delta T because so many factors come into play depending on the system, but I just want to make sure I'm in the right ball park on my estimate. I'm currently using a 1ºF temperature loss. The pipe is insulated pretty well and all the traps were replaced about 10 years ago. I don't really know the total length of steam piping, but it is distributed to 36 floors for perimeter heating only. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Thanks,
Landon Streed, EIT
Engineer I

TAC
16011 College Boulevard, Suite 212
Lenexa, KS 66219 USA

Direct:  +1 (913) 905-0271
Fax:      +1 (972) 469-0206
Mobile:  +1 (913) 208-6020
Email:    landon.streed at tac.com
Web:     www.tac.com <http://www.tac.com/>

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it immediately and notify me by email.

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.