[Equest-users] Increase in roof insulation increases cooling load.

Cyrus Grimes cgrimes at dynamix-ltd.com
Fri Dec 19 07:33:46 PST 2008

In a parametric run the roofing insulation was increased from U= 0.063 to U=0.033. by increasing the thickness of the "Insul Bd 2in (HF-B3)" of the built up roof from 0.28 to 0.64.

In my results the HVAC cooling load increased by 4% and my heating load decreased by 4%. Overall the net change was -1% energy savings.

Is this reasonable?
 Any suggestions?

thanks

                  Cyrus Grimes, LEED(r) AP               .
                    Mechanical Engineer

Corporate Office
1108 City Park Avenue, 3rd Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43206

Phone (614) 443-1178 ext. 274
Fax: (614) 443-1594
e-mail: cgrimes at dynamix-ltd.com

 www.dynamix-ltd.com
P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail note