[Equest-users] Increase in roof insulation increases cooling load.

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Fri Dec 19 08:03:29 PST 2008

Cyrus,

Depending on your internal gains, the increased levels of roofing
insulation may make it more difficult for the system to reject the heat.
I generally find this response when modeling auditoriums or rooms with
high levels of internal gains. The system ends up working overtime to
displace the heat that would normally have escaped after the internal
loads subsided and/or ambient conditions cooled off. For instance, on a
45 degree day, the building might break even with a high internal gain
and low roof insulation, but with the higher roof insulation, the
internal gains dominate and cooling is required. It really depends on
the scenario, but without more information, I can only say that it's
plausible.

Eric