[Equest-users] New User - Help! (HRVs/Heat Pumps?)

Ben Westrope bwestrope at timmconstruction.com
Mon Nov 24 06:39:47 PST 2008

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to teach myself eQuest over the last couple weeks, but it's been a bit frustrating. One thing I was wondering is, why can't you put a Heat Recovery Ventilator on a water loop heat pump? All those inputs are greyed out. Some background on the actual system:

A direct-exchange (no water loop) ground source heat pump heats water in a buffer tank that then is distributed to radiant floor systems in several rooms, each with their own T-stat, for heating. This same heat pump is also connected to a DX air handler, providing a/c to several rooms based on one T-stat. There is an electric backup heater in the air handler, in case the radiant floor can't keep up. Also, there is an HRV that exhausts air from the bathroom based on an occupancy sensor, and dumps fresh air into the air handler ducting.

As far as I can tell, there are several aspects of this system that are off of eQuest's "radar", so to speak. Perhaps my question should be, what would be the best/easiest way to approximate something like this? We deal almost exclusively with DX heat pumps, so I need to find some sort of solution here. I've been using Elite software for load calcs and energy audits. I really like it, but it doesn't qualify for tax credits or LEED projects.

Thanks for any help!

--Ben Westrope
Timm Construction