[Equest-users] Reset Based on Return Air- Equest

Bill bkoran at qwest.net
Thu Nov 20 20:28:06 PST 2008

I haven't run into an existing situation with SAT reset based on RAT, but I
always wondered how it could work.  Such a reset should require a
proportional offset--a deviation from zone temperature setpoint--to reset
the SAT.  Why implement a control that, in the absence of significant heat
gains or losses in the return air path, requires a deviation from setpoint
to have an impact?

Prompted by your inquiry, I did some quick on-line research, and it appears
my concern was warranted.  This paper covers the topic quite well.

http://repository.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/5165

While it doesn't address the question about how to model a reset based on
RAT, the paper describes the issues with such a reset and concludes that an
OAT or hybrid reset is preferred.

--Bill

William E. Koran, P.E.
Senior Engineer
Q u E S T
Quantum Energy Services and Technologies
www.quest-world.com