[Equest-users] Top 10 Improvements

Eric Shadd EShadd at archenergy.com
Tue Sep 9 15:50:38 PDT 2008

I would like to put forth a list of improvements to eQUEST.  I'm posting in just in off chance others might want to add and/or vote.  (Marlin Addison in his classes always mentions that they need more user feedback for improvements).

1.  The ability to create, leave out, or reassign keywords/components in parametric runs.

This would fix at least 2 things:

a.  The glaring difficulty of creating 90.1 App G baselines when the proposed design has a chiller, but the baseline has packaged cooling.  For me, this is the #1 shortcoming in eQUEST.  Encountered all the time, tedious and error-prone every time.
b.  Zones could be reassigned between runs.

Right now, we solve this by abandoning eQUEST before doing parametrics and using if-then statements in the INP and then using "case" type statements to change them in the BDL.

2.  Fixing the spreadsheets so that they cut/paste can be used with Excel and Word, and so that multiple selections can be more easily edited at once.  Also I think the spreadsheet locks cells when sorted sometimes.

3.  A graphical and spreadsheet format for schedules in the detailed interface.  Would streamline a tedious process and provide output for reports.

4.  The ability to copy/paste components within the tree structure (right now have to use a pulldown menu to find the space).

5.  A detailed interface zone/space editor that makes it easier to create, modify, or delete zones or spaces (not only helps w/updating the geometry, but for displacement ventilation too).

6.  Updating the help menus to refer directly to eQUEST user inputs.  Right now the DOE2 help will only tell you the keyword/command, but not where to find them in eQUEST's detailed interface.

7.  Change the Zone Snap by CAD, Polygon, or Grid in the wizard to radio buttons instead of pulldown menus (I find it useful to switch between these somewhat often during zoning).

8.  A feature to show if an entry is default, where it comes from (Title 24?  DOE2?  90.1? 62.1? Standard practice?)

9.  The ability to copy/paste parametric components and runs.  Right now can be done in the .prd, but errors possible.

10.  Azimuth field in the Window spreadsheet so that it can be sorted by orientation.

11.  Several things are missing from the parametric run pulldowns (e.g. Tubular skylights, Lighting Control Method).

12.  Making Savings by Design runs possible on the Baseline model, not just parametric runs.

-Eric