[Equest-users] High space heating values

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Tue Sep 16 15:30:40 PDT 2008

Good evening all,

So we're beginning the transition from VDOE (DOEv2.1e) to eQuest
(DOEv2.2), and we noticed that eQuest tended to result in higher space
heating requirements. We have attempted to reconcile the difference, but
even when we set two baseline buildings as closely as possible in their
respective program - setting as many details the same as we could - we
still couldn't get similar space heating results. Most of electric
consumptions were close enough, however the space heating section
results indicated about a 40% more heating in eQuest than in VDOE. The
eQuest model is showing about 0.67 therms/square foot for something
similar to an ASHRAE baseline (although it's not exactly) which seems
high.

In a similar fashion, I'm working on a NAPA autoparts store, which, as
most know, are extremely simple. My output there is about 0.76
therms/square foot. I built it to the dimensions that they gave me,
however I set all the components to the ASHRAE 90.1 standard and left
the remainder as defaults.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Eric O'Neill
Mechanical Engineer