[Equest-users] primary/secondary hot water loops and process flow

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Sep 23 12:20:24 PDT 2008

I've got a project where a central hot water / boiler system serves
several secondary loops...one is a domestic hot water loop, but most are
hot water heating loops.  When I assign the DHW loop to the primary
loop, it forces me to change it to a "hot water" type circulation loop.
This would be fine, since I can just establish a process load under the
DHW loop and keep it as a "hot water" loop....however, I'm getting
errors about no flow in the DHW secondary loop, even though I currently
have a specific GPM assigned to the loop for 24 hrs a day, 365 days a
year.

Is this error related to the fact that there is no actual connected load
to the loop, other than a process load?  In other words, does the loop
HAVE to have some sort of return water volume to justify it as a "loop"?

Has anyone ever gotten around this?

Thanks for any advice

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200

Arlington, VA  22201-4749

703-338-5754 (Cell)

703-243-1200 (Office)

703-276-1376 (Fax)

www.ghtltd.com <http://www.ghtltd.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is the property of GHT Limited.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.  Thank you.