[Equest-users] Data Entry

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Thu Aug 6 12:47:02 PDT 2009

Fellow eQuesters,

    I'm sorry to continue posting such basic questions, but I am, as usual,
lost.
    It seems that entering data for lighting and for HVAC (in the detailed
model) involves hundreds of fields, many of which really don't seem
relevant.  For example, the lighting fields include many questions about
photometrics.  However, obviously, if I have a lighting time schedule and
the lighting systems defined, I should be able, using simple arithmetic, to
calculate how much energy it uses.  However, eQuest wants a bunch of other
information (such as photometrics), which has taken me forever to calculate.
However, I dare not omit such data since I don't know what eQuest's
algorithms are.
    I am just starting to model the HVAC systems and things appear even
worse.  I don't need eQuest to design the systems for me.  The systems exist
on paper.  How do I eliminate all of the irrelevant fields and just enter
the important stuff that actually describes my systems?  I am especially
perplexed when there are three fields asking for A, B, and the ratio of A to
B.  Why doesn't it just ask for two rather than all three such data?  What
if a user enters conflicting data, such as A=2, B=3, and A/B=7?  Again, it
is alot like the lighting:  I don't care about CFM/person or CFM/sq-ft.  I
have the CFM, the number of people, and the square feet for a zone.  How can
avoid the hundreds of questions?
    Any ideas?  How can I tell what fields eQuest will actually use in doing
the energy modeling so that I can ignore the rest?

Lars Fetzek, EI
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa, Florida