[Equest-users] Underfloor Patchwork

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Tue Aug 11 12:34:09 PDT 2009

Vikram,

    There have been some thoughtgul answers regarding U-values unique to
zones.  As I recall from ASHRAE practices, slab heat transfer is related
more closely to some "F" factor (relating to the perimeter) than to a
U-factor.
    Look at your dark blue cross pattern in the left foreground.  This seems
to correspond to a zone (a hallway?), but not to proximity or distance to
the edge-of-slab.  Therefore, I am guessing (and this is only a guess) that
eQuest is not trying to establish different U-values for these different
color regions, but that eQuest is merely assigning a floor segment to each
zone for calculation purposes.  In other words, this does not seem
consistent with giving emphasis to the slab's perimeter for heat-transfer
calculations.
    However, please tell me this:  If my guess is correct, should I have
been assigning external walls and roofs to each individual zone's external
surfaces rather than to a floor's external surfaces?

Lars Fetzek, EI
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa, Florida

  _____