[Equest-users] Roof Conduction - Where are you?

Gary.Schrader at tac.com Gary.Schrader at tac.com
Thu Aug 27 10:38:26 PDT 2009

I've definitely noticed the anomaly, and I have definitely had a
difficult time running loads because of it.

The way I have compensated for this is by assigning a temperature set
point to the plenum. eQuest seems to not consider any load going across
the roof and into space because it seems that the entire roof load is
assigned to the return air stream for the "Loads" portion of DOE2. If
the plenum is the same temperature as the space, no heat transfer can
occur, obviously.

By assigning the plenum a temperature, however, eQuest does calculate
heat gain/loss and such gain/loss is shown on the loads report as an
adjacent surface but NOT roof load. I've actually setup parametric runs
where a different plenum temperature is used each month based upon a
calculation that I run outside of eQuest calculating my plenum temp
considering the roofing materials and amount of return air passing
through the plenum. I've also included in my estimate how much heat
comes off the lights. It seems to me to be the only work-around to this
rather mysterious problem, and makes running loads in eQuest very
convoluted, IMHO.

In short, with roof load being assigned to the return air, the only way
you can account for a roof load in a space load calc is to tell eQuest
what temperature the plenum is. You have to do that outside of eQuest,
unless somebody has figured out a way to do it another way.

Thanks,

Gary Schrader
Engineer I

TAC
16011 College Boulevard, Suite 212
Lenexa, KS  66219

Direct:

+1

Fax:

+1 913-469-0206

Mobile:

+1 913-217-8068

Email:

Gary.Schrader at tac.com

Web:

www.tac.com <http://www.tac.com/>

TAC is becoming Schneider Electric on October 1, 2009

Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, contains
information of TAC, which may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted
and/or legally privileged. This email is intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity named on the message. If you are not the
intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please
immediately return by email and then delete it.