[Equest-users] hope you can help me

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Dec 4 14:54:08 PST 2009

Haissam,

I'm going to give a shot at answering to a degree that you can figure
out the rest by searching the archives for related discussions on each
topic.   When I say "search terms" it's a heads up to try those terms to
find a lot more information there.

That said, archives are here if you haven't already bookmark/favorite'ed
them:

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/

Also, I feel I must preface, as always, that I don't have all the
answers.  My responses are shaped only by my own experience/education,
so don't hesitate to pursue further if you feel I might be missing
something.  I also welcome as always any corrections/additions to my

1-how to simulate the central chilled water plant?

This question isn't complete enough to effectively answer, imho.  I
haven't a lot of experience with campus/central steam/chilled water/hot
water (all recommended search terms), but I do understand how you handle
this depends quite a lot on whether this is a LEED project, you're
simply trying to match/compare against an ASHRAE 90.1 standard, or are
more basically attempting to model actual plant behavior for
auditive/academic purposes.  I think others will need to answer this
question ultimately, but I think you'll first need to clarify the
context of your project and which design standards you are modeling
around, if any.  It wouldn't hurt to describe this central plant further
either ;).

2-does equest have any library for ASHRAE 90.1 values to make a

baseline than compare it to the results?

eQuest does not have a library of 90.1 baseline HVAC
equipment/constructions (this is a feature I've requested to be
considered for future versions) - to build the baseline model you need
to browse through 90.1 and enter all of the appropriate inputs.

3-how can I simulate the lighting controls,such as lighting fixtures

controlled by motion sensors?

Motion sensors, in the context of 90.1 baseline comparisons, are
accounted for by taking a percentage away from the LPD.  Refer to the
corresponding table in Appendix G.  Other lighting controls beyond
baseline requirements may be accounted for through custom scheduling,
but read Appendix G's wording carefully regarding what must remain the
same between the two models to avoid opening a can of worms.

4-how to  enter the elevators and escalators loads?.

This are covered extensively in the archives.  They're interior direct
loads you assign with a schedule to your electric meter in detailed
mode.

(Search terms: elevator, schedules)

5-how to model the solar loads gain in the reduction of domestic hot

water calculations?

Solar hot water is not directly model-able in eQuest, but you can
account for it after modeling the savings/output of a solard DOMHW
system using other software.  I've seen repeated reference to the free
Canadian RETScreen tools for this task: http://www.retscreen.net/  I'd
caution that RETScreen is a lot more complex than it may appear at first
(looks like just another excel spreadsheet).

6-how to impose type of heat recovery to the airhandling unit?such as

total enthalpy fly wheel ?

Enthalpy wheels and other forms of energy recovery are defined in
detailed mode.  Click on "Airside Systems" tab, select the unit in
question, and find the energy recovery options under the outdoor air
tab.

7-why all edits made in the detailed interface mode are not saved in

the DD wizard?what shall I do to keep these changes?

Thou shalt perform all wizard edits before moving into detailed mode!
That's pretty much the sum of it.  There's nothing in wizards you cannot
define/edit in detailed mode, rest assured, but it can be a real time
saver to fully utilize the wizard screens.  This is something that is
always tricky at first in your earlier projects (you'll come around to
better understand what can and can't be defined before detailed mode as
you get experience behind the eQuest wheel), but best advice is to scour
all wizard screens to ensure you've defined all that you can before
hitting "detailed mode."

8-can you provide me with a hot line(if existing)for  any urgent

question I may encounter regarding equest items?

To my knowledge there is no such tech support line, but you're not
alone!  For the moment, I'd advise reading my lengthy response to a
similar call for help that includes the places where you can find
support for this program here:
http://lists.onebuilding.org/htdig.cgi/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2009
-November/002534.html  These mailing lists are of course the most
"human" support you can find, but may not be the fastest - do learn to
lean heavily on the eQuest/DOE2 help files (which are admittedly not as
intuitively located as they could be) for fast answers =)!

9-is there is any soon training sessions in the middle east region?

Best addressed by others - I'm not involved in organizing these...

Best of luck!

POST EDIT:  I see on a search that I may be responding to a double-post
and you may have already been helped sufficiently, but heck I've already
written this up so here ya go =).  Do please avoid double-posting and/or
changing the subject line as it can make it confusing for those of us
contributing with responses.  Also I'm happy to see I've managed to
contribute help to 100% of your projects so far through the lists ^_^.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway