[Equest-users] GBXML

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Dec 11 14:37:33 PST 2009

Hi Bob,

Pasha's experience echoes my own - eQuest can import one type of file -
*.inp.  Only one program I'm aware of can generate an *.inp from another
file's information:  Autodesk's Green Building Studio Desktop (GBS).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=12602821

At my last check, you can acquire a 30-day trial of this web-based
software for free if you'd like to invest some time trying to get the
process to work.  I've revisited the concept for two separate projects,
and both times ended up empty-handed as I tried unsuccessfully to
resolve issues caused in the conversion process rooted in how the Revit
file was constructed.  I'd advise, if you do not have access to the
Revit Architectural Suite, to consider that you will have some serious
coordination involved with the architect or other client in possession
of that software package.  Definitely look up the white paper Autodesk
has published regarding key things that must be managed correctly in the
Revit file before attempting to export the (gb)*.xml file that GBS
converts.

Ultimately, I've come to the same conclusion two separate times - it's a
faster and more efficient use of your time to buckle down and build the
3D geometries up yourself alongside all of the other information
defineable in the wizard screens.  By all accounts, an imported
Revit/gbxml-based *.inp file will not include a myriad of items that are
immensely easier to define through the wizards, and you would have to
start your project in detailed mode.

Best wishes,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.