[Equest-users] Converting Interior Walls to Exterior Walls

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Dec 30 07:50:36 PST 2009

I have a guess as to "how this may have happened."

If the corresponding shell in the wizards was ever set up adjacent to
another, the shared planes may have defaulted to "partially adiabatic,"
which would make part of your model look like it has "interior walls"
that are in fact adiabatic.

Rest assured, the zones behind those white rectangles are not behaving
the way it looks: as though they have your internal wall construction on
the exterior.  If you were to delete them, the 3D view would look funny,
but it would be the same as having an adiabatic wall in the same
locations (no heat transfer to/from the outside) - that could be a fast
solution.

The "correct" solution, to model the interaction with the exterior world
in those spaces, is to follow Katie's (well-written!) instructions
below.  Don't let her caps lock usage scare ya though - this stuff isn't
too excruciating, as long as you do keep your backups in order =).  It
may go without saying, but I'll add that you will potentially save
yourself a lot of time by spending a few minutes in your model noting
the exact name of those "interior" looking walls so that you can ctrl+F
them in the .inp file!

Best of luck!

PS: Happy to see more KC-area contributors, Katie!  =)  If you're still
having trouble finding the DOE2 files and need a quick fix, you can
download them in PDF here:  http://www.doe2.com/Download/DOE-22/  (What
you're looking for is volumes 1-6 and 2r).   I'd look at simply
reinstalling myself though, for the convenience ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway