[Equest-users] District Heating and District Cooling

Lam, Linda linda.lam at wspfk.com
Wed Feb 4 08:18:48 PST 2009

All,

I am trying to model a building that will have chilled water and hot water supplied by a Central Utility Plant.  According to the attached "Required Treatment of District Thermal Energy in LEED-NC version 2.2 (May 28,2008)", there will be 4 models required.  The first set of 2 with purchased CHW and HW.  The second set of 2 with the entire CUP modeled in the Proposed case and a boiler/chiller plant autosized for the Baseline case.

If that reasoning is correct, then how do I account for the energy used by the other buildings using the CUP?  Do I add it on as Process Energy on my Chilled Water and Hot Water loops? How do I calculate the load on the Condenser Water loop? What if I don't know what the loads in the other buildings are?

Thank you in advance!
Linda

Linda Lam, LEED® AP
WSP Flack + Kurtz