[Equest-users] Primary-secondary loop configuration

Karl Stum kstum at summitbe.com
Thu Feb 5 12:40:39 PST 2009

Chilled water primary-secondary loop configuration.

When using the eQuest Wizard and a primary-secondary chilled water pumping
system is set up, I don't see the secondary circulation loop in the tree
structure. Furthermore, per the DOE documentation, the chillers would be
assigned to the primary loop and the cooling loads assigned to the secondary
loop (DOE2 Topics Vol 2, p. 312-313), but the results from the Wizard show
in the tree structure everything assigned to the primary loop, as does the
output PV-A Plant Design Parameters report. In that report, the chillers do
show term called  "(Run-around)" by their evaporators. Is this supposed to
be what we would normally call the primary loop? Why aren't there two
circulation loops showing up in the tree structure?

Thanks,

Karl

Karl Stum, PE

Summit Building Engineering