[Equest-users] eQuest - first-time - baseboard heat with HRV

Derek Ryzebol dryzebol at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:12:06 PST 2009

Hello everyone,

I have just started learning and using eQuest, so this is my first time
posting here. I must say that I am both impressed and a little
intimidated by the level of detail and complexity that it can allow in
my modeling!

Anyways, I am attempting to model a small apartment building. My
background is in building sciences so have had no problems modeling the
shell. It is when I get to the HVAC that I start to get a little lost.
The building is low-cost housing so the systems are also simple and
inexpensive. They are using electric baseboards for heat (no
air-conditioning). This is easy enough to model, but there is a
requirement for fresh air so they will be installing HRVs. My question
is, how do I add an HRV to a baseboard heating system? With only the
baseboards installed in the model, I cannot select HRV in the 'Outdoor
Air' tab. After playing around with a few things, I thought perhaps I
need to also install a duct system for the HRV to run on, but just do
not specify a heat source?

Am I on the right track here?

If anyone else has experience modeling baseboards with HRVs, I would
appreciate hearing how you approach this.

Thanks! Derek