[Equest-users] Call for help.

Alexander Czank aczank at r3energy.com
Thu Jul 30 08:08:06 PDT 2009

Greetings All,

I’m currently looking for any engineers that are participating in the
NYSERDA program but help from anyone that is able to is welcome.

Currently I am modeling a multifamily high rise project and I keep stumbling
on the same two issues with my baseline model for this project. The first of
which is related to lighting the second dealing with HVAC systems and their
controls or possibly their schedules or weather file.

Lighting Issue – As per the guidelines I have set my residential space as 2
w/sf and .7 for all other non residential common areas following space by
space method prescriptions for the remaining spaces in my project. With
these inputs my lighting consumption has jumped through the roof (something
to the rate of 300,000 kwh/yr) for an 88 unit building that is a mere 9
stories tall that is way too much. I am wondering as to why this is. I have
currently normalized this by adjusting the multiplier but I don’t know if
this is a valid thing to do.

HVAC issue – as soon as I began to model the HVAC system to 90.1
specifications my simulation is giving me heating in the summer months, I
cannot figure out why. My requirement is to have a heating set point of 72
and setback of 70 and for cooling 78 and 80 respectively. To add insult to
injury my cooling in the summer months is through the roof (in the range of
25,000 – 30,000 kWh) per MONTH alone.

I feel that the HVAC issue is related to weather data but I don’t know what
could be wrong with it as I have the correct file loaded into eQuest. As for
the lighting I think that it’s a schedule of operation that is wrong but I
am clueless as to how I would input the prescribed schedule.

I thank you all for taking the time to read thru this and will greatly
appreciate any help that can be provided to me. Feel free to respond to me
directly or through the mailing list with any help.

Thank you,

Alexander Czank

Energy Systems Analyst

Office: 914.909.3940 x107

Cell: 914.218.7779

Fax: 914.909.3941

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and document's
attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you have received this
communication in error, please advise the sender by reply email and
immediately delete this message and any attachments without copying or
disclosing the contents.  Thank you

ü Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail