[Equest-users] Fw: Plenums and PSZ systems

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Mon Jun 15 07:36:34 PDT 2009

Ron,

You are correct about 1) below.  I would imagine you have acoustic tile
for your ceiling construction, and eQUEST converts this material to a
simple U-value rather than a layered construction with thermal lag.  The
main problem resulting from using simple vs. layered constructions is
when the method differs between the baseline and proposed models.  For
example, it would be inaccurate to model the baseline's exterior walls
with the U-value method while modeling the proposed with a layered
construction.  The baseline would not have thermal lag accounted for
when the loads are simulated.

Problems with hours outside throttling range are usually system control
issues rather than capacity issues, especially if you're letting eQUEST
auto-size.  For example, a system that is twice as large as it needs to
be for peak loads will probably still have trouble increasing space
temperature by 15 degrees in one hour.  You'll need to coordinate your
design temps, thermostat schedule (pay attention to night setback temps
and morning warm-up), and OA schedule to ensure the system is properly
controlled.  I recommend locking out OA during morning warm-up.  The
detailed reports will help you research problem zones (SS-F and SS-O).
Find out where the problems are occurring and adjust your system control
accordingly.

Regarding CFM between baseline and proposed, I would be suspicious if
they matched.  In fact, I've never submitted to LEED with matching flow
rates.  The proposed system should match construction drawings, and I
assume the mechanical engineer did not use eQUEST for sizing.  ASHRAE
90.1-2004 G.3.1.2.8 says the baseline's supply needs to be determined
from a 20 degree dT.  eQUEST can then auto-size the baseline flows
during sizing runs, and you can use those flows with G3.1.2.9 to
determine your baseline fan power.  Even if a 20 degree dT for the
proposed case was used with eQUEST auto-sizing, the resulting flow rates
should be different because the space loads are different (i.e.
different skin loads).

Please feel free to contact me directly if you need further
clarification.

Thanks,

  Dakota Kelley

     Modeling Services

3535 Travis Street, Suite 115, Dallas, TX 75204 | Phone 214.280.3825 |
Fax 214.744.0770 |  http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>
| dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:mmcpike at teliospc.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and
delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright (c) 2009
Telios Corporation.